It is the complete knowledge of the supplier lots along with proper identification and tracking. It is an activity of collecting and managing information regarding what has been done in manufacturing processes from receiving of raw materials and parts to shipment of products and finally sold in the market.
It is required to possess highly precise control over the product and process quality in response to Customer Demands. When we are promising 0 parts per billion of errors then it becomes necessary for Industries such as medical, food and beverage, aerospace, defense and automotive to have a proven methodology for trace and track.
Classification of Traceability
Now based on the location it can be divided into two major types:
- In-house Traceability is the tracing and tracking of the components when the material is present in the Manufacturing Industry itself wherein it may be under processing or in the ready to deliver the stock or ready to be dispatched.
- Market Traceability is the tracing and tracking of the components after it is being delivered to the customer which in turn may be the End-user or Reseller or Trader.
Need of Traceability
We need to implement Traceability to ensure
- High Reputation
- Maintain Sustainability
- No Recalls as Recalls can be suicidal
Here Traceability comes to the Rescue of the Manufacturing Industries by reducing the information gaps between the suppliers, assembly line staff, shop floor staff, supply chains and also enables us to keep a record of the warranty data, quality data and maintains the proper mapping of the received and the production data that too lot-wise in Real time.
Architecture of Traceability
Traceability can be majorly defined as shown in the diagram below:
Implementing the Traceability
Traceability is implemented in the following steps:
- Monitor the process and Collect Data
- Store Data either locally or on Cloud
- Analyze, Report and Improve the process as required
Benefits of Traceability
Implementing traceability will help you achieve the following advantages over your competitors:
- Track production information back to the exact date, time, supplier components, operator and machines used.
- Check whether the product is as per specifications
- Identify any particular problem in a line and also track the affected parts
- Continuous monitoring of tests and process for improvement
- Comparison across similar lines
- Maintain the records as part of Government/Client compliances which further helps in Sustainability and Safety
- Real-time information available to the concerned people at a click
- Centralized Repository collecting data with minimal human intervention
- No scope for manipulation
- Highly Accurate
- Protects your brand and bottom line
- Increase Operational Productivity
- Reduce Warranty Claims Costs
Thanks for Reading!!!