Electrical Safety, if not done or followed properly can lead to severe damages. More than forty percent of total fire hazard is due to compromise in electrical safety. It is critical to get the electrical safety audit done for your premises on a regular basis otherwise it can harm people and properties due to Burns, Shock, Fire, Blasts, etc. and in some cases, it forces business owners to shut shops.
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has laid down rules and regulations to be followed for a safety audit. These guidelines are regulated by the Central Electricity Authority ( http://www.cea.nic.in/) and the National Safety Council of India (http://www.nsc.org.in/)
We have listed down a few application-wise Indian Standards ( IS )which can be referred for the specific application.
Application: Electrical Wiring and Layout
- IS: 732 – 1989 Code of practice for electrical wiring installations.
- IS: 4648 – 1968 Guide for electrical layout in residential buildings.
- IS: 8061 – 1976 Code of practice for design, installation, and maintenance of service lines up to and including 650V
- IS: 8884 – 1978 Code of practice for installation of electric bells and call system.
- IS: 5578 – 1985 Guide for marking of the insulated conductor.
- IS: 11353- 1985 Guide for a uniform system of marking and identification of conductors and apparatus terminals.
- IS: 5728 – 1970 Guide for short-circuit calculations.
- IS: 7752(Part-1)-1975 Guide for improvement of power factor in consumer installation: Low and medium supply voltages.
Application: Lighting Systems
- IS: 3646(Part-1)-1966 Code of practice for interior illumination: Principles for good lighting and aspects of design.
- IS: 3646(Part-2)-1966 Code of practice for interior illumination: Schedule of illumination and glare index.
- IS: 2672 – 1966 Code of practice for library lighting.
- IS: 10118(Part-1)-1982 Code of practice for selection, installation, and maintenance of switchgear and control gear: General.
- IS: 10118(Part-2)-1982 Code of practice for selection, installation, and maintenance of switchgear and control gear.
- IS: 10118(Part-3)-1982 Code of practice for selection, installation, and maintenance of switchgear and control gear: Installation.
- IS: 10118(Part-4)-1982 Code of practice for selection, installation, and maintenance of switchgear and control gear: Maintenance.
- IS: 6875(Part-1)-1973 Control switches (switching devices for control and auxiliary circuits including contractor relays) for voltages up to and including 1000 V AC and 1200 DC: General requirements and tests.
- IS: 4064(Part-1)-1978 Air break switches, air break dis-connectors, air-break switch disconnectors, and fuse-combination units for voltages not exceeding 1000 V AC or 1200 DC: General requirements.
- IS: 8828 – 1978 Miniature air break circuit breakers for voltages not exceeding 1000 volt.
- IS: 13032 – 1991 Miniature circuit breaker boards for voltages up to and including 1000 volts AC.
- IS: 8623(Part-1)-1977 Factory-built assemblies of switchgear and control gear for voltages up to and including 1000 V AC and 1200 V DC: General requirements.
- IS: 8623(Part-2)-1980 Factory assemblies of switchgear and control gear for voltages up to and including 1000 V AC and 1200 V DC: Particular requirements for busbar trunking system (busways).
Application: Lightning and Earthing Protection
- IS: 2309 – 1989 Code of practice for the protection and allied structures against lightning.
- IS: 3043 – 1987 Code of practice for earthing.
- IS: 5216(Part-1)-1982 Guide for safety procedures and practices in electrical work: General.
- IS: 4237 – 1983 General requirements for switchgear and control gear for voltages not exceeding 1000 V AC or 1200 V DC
- IS: 12640 – 1988 Residual current operated circuit breakers.
- IS: 2959 – 1985 Contactors for voltages not exceeding 1000 V AC or 1200 V DC.
- IS: 694 – 1990 PVC Insulated cables for working voltages up to and including 1100 V.
- IS: 1554(Part-1)-1988 PVC insulated (heavy duty) electric cables: For working voltages up to and including 1100 V.
- IS: 3961 (Part-5)-1968 Recommended current ratings for cables: PVC insulated light duty cables.
Application: Enclosures and Electrical Conduits
- IS: 9537(Part-1)-1980 Conduits for electrical installations: General requirements.
- IS: 9537(Part-2)-1981 Conduits for electrical installations Rigid steel conduits.
- IS: 3480 – 1966 Flexible steel conduits for electrical wiring.
- IS: 2667 – 1988 Fittings for rigid steel conduits for electrical wiring.
- IS: 3837 – 1976 Accessories for rigid steel conduits for electrical wiring.
- IS: 5133(Part-1)-1969 Boxes for enclosure of electrical accessories: Steel and cast iron boxes.
- IS: 371 – 1979 Ceiling roses.
- IS: 3854 – 1988 Switches for domestic and similar purposes.
- IS: 4615 – 1968 Switch socket outlets (non-interlocking type).
- IS: 4160 – 1967 Interlocking switch socket outlet.
- IS: 1293 – 1988 Plugs and socket-outlets of rated voltage up to and including 250 volts and rated current up to and including 16 amperes.
All the above Indian Standards (IS) mentioned and all the other remaining standards can be found in the link below to study them in detail.
For example, IS 2309: 1989 is considered in this link
- Electrical Safety Audit – Briefing of Procedures
- A Basic Guide to Electrical Thermography
- Understand Your Industrial/Commercial Electricity Bill
- How Power factor effects Electricity Bill